Thursday, September 9, 2010

APPLICATION ACCEPTED!!!

I got an email today from our sweet social worker to tell us that our initial application has been looked over by the supervisor and is officially approved.  I knew it would be but its good to get it in writing.  We should know in the next few days/weeks when MAPPs will officially start.  I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear.   We have a desperate longing for another child in our home - it's pretty indescribable and even if I was able to articulate what I needed to say it wouldn't quit do it justice.  So I will just say thank you Lord for choosing us to foster your precious precious children - we truly are the lucky ones in all of this.

We are asking our family and friends to please keep our future foster children in your prayers.  Prayers for protection, prayers for acceptance, and prayers for their future and safety.  We ask for support during this time in our lives.  We have had nothing but awesome people encouraging us to take this leap of faith...we are truly blessed by all of our beautiful friends.  We pray that not only are we touched by these children but that all of you who will come in contact with these children will see the face of God.

I know I promised a few question and answer's over the next few posts so Ill go ahead and do a few questions here;

1.  Why did you choose to foster children and when?
My husband and I have felt a very strong connection to adoption after we adopted our first beautiful baby girl, Kate.  We knew we would open up our home again but we weren't sure in what way and when.   About a year ago a friend of mine in ATL told me she and her husband were going to be foster parents and it hit me like a mack truck.  For a full year I tried to talk myself out of God's plan for our lives before I started a book called Radical (by David Platt if you haven't read it - READ IT).  In it were really harsh but true words (that I won't go into detail about) that truly changed how I felt about what it really means to be a Christian.  We knew we could no longer deny God's calling on our lives and thanks to my wonderful friend in ATL who has been praying for our hearts the last year we have finally stepped out in faith.

2.  Are you trying to adopt any children from the system?
The goal of Foster Care is reunification with a biological parent and/or family member.  We are doing our best to remember that our goal MUST be to love the child while we have them and live day by day KNOWING that the child will most likely be reunified.  If something comes up where a child in our care becomes available to adopt we would strongly consider it - but it is NOT our intention to adopt out of the system at this point.  We want to help as many families as we can be put back together.

3.  Can you have any more biological children?  If so, will you have anymore?
Yes, my husband and I can have more biological children.  We adore each of our children not because of biology but for who they are and how they were giving to us on this earth.  As far as us having more biological children yes I believe we will have one more biological child.  At what point? Maybe as soon as a year or maybe in 5 years we will leave that timing up to God.


Okay I think that covers the big questions....I'll answer a few more questions in the next post!


Leslie

2 comments:

Casey and Sarah said...

Love the blog, Les! I will be following! Praise that you guys are accepted and prayers for the steps ahead!! Love you guys!
Sarah

Lydia said...

Leslie what great, heart felt answers to these questions! You guys are such a wonderful inspiration to us and I can't wait to see you progress along the journey!